Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Happenings of the Week

Friday: Long day at work. I think I might actually get some training, now that I've been working my job for a month. v.v

Pro-tip for first time teachers: DEMAND CLASSROOM OBSERVATION BEFORE you start teaching. I guess at most places it's mandatory and part of the training, but at smaller schools they might not do it, and that's fucking dumb. It is SO much easier to just copy what the experienced teacher does, as opposed to being told what you have to teach and how you're supposed to teach it, but without any real demonstration.

Also, ask about classroom management and discipline. I wasn't told about ANY of that shit before I started, and now I have a bunch of rowdy kids who won't listen unless the principal or former teacher pops in. Ugh.

After work came home, worked out, took shower.

Saturday: 和氣照顧 for Wei-Chun's Dad at General Veteran's Hospital.

Public art at the hospital. It was SUPER-windy that day! But it didn't rain very hard in the afternoon, just sunny showers, which are my favourite!


There were like...13 of us, and some Chi-mates even came from Hsinchu and Taoyuan!!! I am awed by their generosity and dedication. After the hospital we went to a vegetarian buffet for delicious delicious lunch!


Check out how colourful my lunch was!!! THOSE EGGPLANTS WERE AMAZING. The veggie-meat was mediocre. Not shown was this delicious lightly almond-y tofu dish. It is, quite unappealingly, called 豆腦. If you can't read Chinese, do not GoogleTranslate until after you're have it. Knowing the name will ruin it for you FOREVER.


Then Maggie invited Ingting and me to have coffee by her place so we could talk about the day-care volunteering we're doing for the Relationship Fulfillment class this coming weekend. @_@ We went to Mr.2 which was FANTASTIC.


The exterior and interior of the store is abound with these figures in various sizes and positions. I like them!



Today: Grandpa's (one-day-early) Birthday! We went over in the evening to celebrate. My younger cousins flew in from China, so they were all there, as well as my uncle from New York and my Dad from Minnesota. The house was so raucous with twelve people! We had a delicious strawberry cake from 85 ° C (although the pudding bits were still slightly frozen, and there was too much whipped topping (WHY DON'T THEY USE REAL CREAM?! D:< Probably because most people are lactose intolerant. BUT STILL!!!) that Gracie topped with Oreos. After singing and cake-eating Gracie and the cousins went to the night market and we came home, which takes like an hour. If only I didn't work tomorrow morning!!! D:

Also, earlier today Tai and I explored the Hankyu Department Store off of Taipei City Hall MRT Exit 2. SO MANY SAMPLES!! AND PEOPLE!!! D: I've never been there on a weekend, and it was super-crowded, but we go to try some pandan and a fluffy cream-filled cake-sandwich thing, as well as this REALLY REALLY GOOD taro pastry. Also, we had the kaitenzushi for dinner, and it was pretty good, even though all I could eat was salmon and unagi -.0 They've got several different kinds of salmon though, so that was awesome. I liked the seared ones :)

OH and they had these ADORABLE Peter Rabbit blankets on sale for 1280. I think that's a pretty good price for 100% feather down. I think I'll go pick one up on Tuesday, seeing as we were on our way elsewhere when we saw them. Just in time for the chillier weather too. And by chillier I mean NOT super-warm all the time. I don't think it will ever get truly nippy on this island. Except maybe on top of Ali-shan, where it *gasp* SNOWS. O_O

In other news, we also met with my neighbours who were interested in tutoring and set up Sunday morning tutoring for $300/hr. I know it's ridiculously low for individual tutoring, but since it's our first time, and we don't have to do ANYTHING -- no transit, no curriculum, no hassle :D -- I think it's reasonable.

Next week is gonna be SO busy @_@ Mommy's birthday is on Saturday and then there's the class at Taoyuan. On top of which we're starting new units at work and OMG I still need to get candy for my kids @_@

No comments:

Post a Comment