Thursday, January 26, 2012

Breakfast Treat!

Most of the time I prepare my own breakfast (and it's usually oatmeal xD) but recently, since my financial pressure has been somewhat alleviated, I've been trying some of the breakfast places by my house.

Breakfast bars are SUPER popular, incredibly convenient, and generally delicious, if somewhat unhealthy. A more traditional breakfast is comprised largely of carbs -- usually a fried crueller, bao or rice ball, accompanied by a cup of soymilk. Recent trends include sandwiches and fried onion flatcakes with milk-tea or another sweet beverage.

Cotton Land is a health/organic food store, and all the branches do breakfast, as far as I know. Some of the larger ones do lunch, too, which I highly recommend.

This is one of their breakfast sets: your choice of sandwich, sesame bao, or riceball with soy milk for NT$50. I've gotten their black soymilk (NT$25) and rice ball (NT$30?) before (separately), but it's generally more economical to get the set, especially if you're getting the sandwich (which retails for NT$40 on its own!) I think the sesame bao is only NT$20, so that'd be an exception. In any case, it's not as good for breakfast 'cause it doesn't have as much protein, so I probably wouldn't get it anyway ^o^


You can't really tell in this picture, but the black soymilk is the whole soybean -- no straining! So it's slightly chunky. I like it 'cause it's like a hot porridge I can drink through a straw! Although I dunno if they use actual black soybeans -- I'm guessing it's just sesame, but I'm gonna ask next time ^^


Close-up of their sandwich: apples, sprouts, lettuce, 2 or 3 kinds of mayonnaise and egg salad on soft whole-wheat bread.

This was super-filling and REALLY delicious. I like the sandwich more than the rice ball (which is purple rice filled with vege floss and pickles) 'cause it has more fresh plant material and is less salty, but both are delicious!

Next time I think I will try Santa Cruz, which is the health/organic store next door -- hopefully they will have some good deals on breakfast too!

1 comment: