Sunday, December 11, 2011

Visiting Family, Food, and Banciao Night Market

Last Sunday (the 4th) we went straight over to my mom's after the hotel gig. She made a SUPER GOURMET 5-COURSE LUNCH (8 or 9 courses if you count the rice and 3 kinds of fried seafood).

This is my favourite dish -- mushrooms with egg and basil.

Apparently it can also be made with salted egg for EVEN MORE DELICIOUSNESS




Tofu & Greens (that I picked and washed!
There was too much cayenne T_T
Delicious nonetheless!


Fish!

Mixed Tian-bu-la with SUPER-NUMMY Greens!
I felt like I was murdering those little kitty faces when I ate them.
There were also bunny faces :)


The Spread!

Afterward lunch, we had tea! With lots of fruits *u* Then we visited my maternal Grandfather. It was getting dark by the time the visit ended, so Mommy suggested we look for the Banciao night market! We did it.
NIGHT MARKET TIME!
I didn't feel like digging out my camera all the time so there isn't much photo evidence, but Banciao has a pretty bomb Night Market.
We got roasted chestnuts first thing :D
By we I mean Mommy bought some for me.
I guess no-one else enjoys chestnuts the way I do, which is A LOT.
We also got some azuki wrapped in clear jelly, Gracie got a matcha crepe, Thai-style fried shrimp cake wedge thingies, and THIS:

This is a terrible picture of the most delicious thing at Banciao Night Market: flash-fried scallion pancake with egg and cheese.
The pancake was fragrant, crisp, and surprisingly non-greasy. This was complimented by the thick gooey cheese and easy-over egg (careful of oozing yolks!).
Tai and I are of the agreement that next time we would be perfectly content to forgo all other foodstuffs in favour of blowing the entirety of our evening food budget on as many of these little buggers as we can. They're NT$30 straight up and NT$40 with cheese. You can also get them with basil, kimchi (which my mom got), ham, bacon, and some other meaty things.

The stand it came from.

We also tried to get a crepe piled high with matcha ice cream that we saw another market-goer with, but the stand was out of the ice cream T_T

The night rounded out with some fresh-brewed waxgourd tea on ice -- sublime!

No comments:

Post a Comment